The art and process of making motion pictures.
1.Only one (1) film is to be entered.
2. The running time of the film must not exceed five (5) minutes.
3. A storyboard or project theme must be associated with the film.
a. Digitally rendered or manually produced storyboards must be submitted.
b. Storyboards must be printed and cannot be displayed on a mobile device or tablet.
NOTE: Storyboards are NOT stills taken from the film; rather they are original drawings, sketches, digital renderings, etc. completed PRIOR to the exection of the film.
4. Only one (1) film is to be entered in DVD format.
5. The running time for the film must not exceed five (5) minutes excluding closing credits
6. A playback unit will be provided
7. One (1) copy of the film should be submitted on a single DVD packaged in a standard 5 1/4 x 7 1/2 plastic DVD case.
a. Do Not put labels on the DVD
b. Make sure the disc plays in a standard DVD player before you submit your entry.
8. DVD's must be compatible with standard set-top DVD Players.
9. The contestant must shoot all footage.
The use of stock footage, or any other footage not shot by the contestant will result in immediate disqualification.
Written permission or purchased/licensed material cannot be used.
Contestants will be judged by the following criteria:
• Creative (25 pts)
1. Storyboard (10 pts)
How effectively did the competitor execute the ideas presented on the storyboard in their piece?
2. Originality (15 pts)
Did the competitor try to challenge him/herself to do something different and interesting?
Did he or she have a new and interesting way of retelling an old story/concept?
Creativity of approach or concept.
• Production (35 pts)
1. Direction/Structure (25 pts)
The use of camera, choice of shots to help convey the story, framing, camera movement, clarity of story.
2. Use of light (10 pts)
Are actors and/or environment lit effectively?
• Sound (15 pts)
1. Use of audio effects /music (10 pts)
2. Audibility (5pts)
Is dialogue audible?
• Post Production (25 pts)
1. Editing (20 pts)
Approach in editing to tell the story more effectively.
2. Titles. (5 pts)