Music Composition Guidelines
The science or art of arranging music by ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination or in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity
1. Mail one (1) original notarized composition to the Coraopolis NAACP by MARCH 31
Coraopolis NAACP P. O. Box 844 Coraopolis, PA. 15108
2. The top of each page must include the contestant’s name, page number and unit name and number (Coraopolis NAACP #26AB-B).
3. The composition must be neatly and precisely written on music manuscript paper, in such a manner that any trained musician could perform
4. Before submission, all electronically generated manuscripts (Finale, Sibelius, etc.) must be proofread to ensure proper quantization in the
final print generated composition.
5. All submissions must show competency in writing for the chosen medium.
6. The contestant must include a CD recording of the composition with the National Registration materials and bring a copy of the CD for the
judges onsite at the Local and National competition.
7. The composition must not exceed five (5) minutes.
8. Students can perform their piece without an infringement on their interview time.
Contestants Will Be Judged By The Following Criteria:
• Creative sense (10 pts)
• Form (20 pts)
• Harmonic and rhythmic interest (20 pts)
• Strength of melodic line (20 pts)
• Use of theory (20 pts)
• Quality of transcript (10 pts)