Music: Instrumental -- Classical
The art of performing with a device used to produce music with tones of the late 18th and 19th centuries characterized by an emphasis on balance, clarity, and moderation.
1. The musical selection must be one specifically written for solo performances.
The performance may be an excerpt and may not exceed five (5) minutes.
(Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirements are subject to point deduction.)
2. Contestants must submit one (1) digital copy of the sheet music for their performance.
3. Submissions must be clear and properly aligned on each page.
4. If the selection chosen is written with piano accompaniment, it must be performed in that manner.
5. The composition to be performed must be consistent with the nature of the instrument and the level
of musical proficiency of the performer.
6. The selection of music and instrument is solely the decision of the contestant.
7. The only instrument provided for the performance will be a piano.
8. Live accompaniment is permitted for this competition.
Contestants Will Be Judged By The Following Criteria:
Interpretation, Expression, Tempo, Phrasing, and Historically appropriate style (20 pts)
Intonation and touch (piano) (20 pts)
Stage presence, choice of music (20 pts)
Technique, articulation, Breathing, Rhythm, Facility and Accuracy (20 pts)
Tone quality, Beauty, Control and Characteristic timbre (20 pts)
Qualifying for the National Competition:
If a student qualifies to go to the National Competition in July:
1. Contestants must request accompaniment by May 13
2. The only instrument provided for performances will be a piano.
3. Sheet music is required at the time of request.
4. Contestants can also bring an accompanist.