Music: Instrumental -- Contemporary
The art of performing with a device used to produce music with the tones of the present.
1. The musical selection must be one specifically written for solo performances and may not exceed five (5) minutes.
(Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to point deduction.)
2. The selection performed should feature a solo performance.
The contestants must provide additional musicians if they are needed for their performance.
3. Contestants must submit one (1) digital copy of the sheet music for their performance.
4. The only instrument provided for performance will be a piano.
Any additional instruments or equipment needed must be provided by the contestant.
5. The selection of music and instrument is solely the decision of the contestant.
6. Examples of contemporary music are R&B, Broadway, Jazz, Gospel, Blues, etc.
7. Live accompaniment is permitted for this competition.
Contestants Will Be Judged By The Following Criteria
Effectiveness of style, Improvisation (20 pts)
Intonation, Touch (piano) (20 pts)
Stage presence, Choice of music (20 pts)
Technique, Articulation, Breathing, Tonality, Rhythm, Facility (20 pts)
Tone quality, Beauty, Control, Characteristic timbre (20 pts)
Qualifying for the National Competition:
If a student qualifies to go to the National Competition in July:
1. Contestants must request accompaniment by May 13, 2023
2. The only instrument provided for performances will be a piano.
3. Sheet music is required at the time of request.
4. Contestants can also bring an accompanist.