Music: Vocal -- Classical
The art of performing with the human voice rhythmic tones or sounds of the late 18th and 19th centuries characterized by an emphasis on balance, clarity, and moderation.
1. Only one (1) song is to be performed, and it must not exceed five (5) minutes.
(Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to disqualification.)
2. Competitors should not perform to a CD/audio file.
3. Contestants must submit six (6) copies of their sheet music.
4. The material must be memorized.
5. Costumes are not required.
6. Live accompaniment is permitted for this competition.
7. The only instrument provided for performance will be a piano.
Contestants Will Be Judged By The Following Criteria
Choice of Music (10 pts)
Diction (25 pts)
Correctness of pronunciation
Interpretation (10 pts)
3. Historically appropriate style
Intonation (10 pts)
Stage presence (10 pts)
Technique (10 pts)
Tone quality (25 pts)
1. Beauty of sound
Qualifying for the National Competition:
If a student qualifies to go to the National Competition in July:
1. Contestants must request accompaniment by May 13
2. The only instrument provided for performances will be a piano.
3. Sheet music is required at the time of request.
4. Contestants can also bring an accompanist.