The art of performing with the human voice rhythmic tones or sounds to produce music with the tones of the present.
1. Only one (1) song is to be performed, and it must not exceed two and a half (2.5) minutes.
(A one point deduction is assessed every 30 seconds.)
2. Musical accompaniment must be provided by the contestant either live or using a standard CD or MP3 file.
a. The CD/MP3 file should contain only the instrumental version of the song.
b. Contestants are encouraged to provide a backup CD.
3. Contestants requesting piano accompaniment must submit sheet music.
4. The material must be memorized.
5. Costumes are not permitted.
6. Examples of contemporary music are Broadway, Jazz, R&B, Gospel, Blues, etc.
7. Live accompaniment is permitted for this competition.
8. The only instrument provided for performance will be a piano
Contestants Will Be Judged By The Following Criteria
Choice of Music (15 pts)
1. Matched to vocal ability
Interpretation (20 pts)
Stage presence (15 pts)
1. Comfort on and control of stage
3. Rapport with audience
Technique (25 pts)
Tone quality (25 pts)
1. Beauty of sound
3. Intonation and Diction
Qualifying for the National Competition:
If a student qualifies to go to the National Competition in July:
1. Contestants must request accompaniment by May 13, 2023
2. The only instrument provided for performances will be a piano.
3. Sheet music is required at the time of request.
4. Contestants can also bring an accompanist.