A brief examination of a subject in prose usually expressing a personal view or interpretation of a subject or topic.
1. Email one (1) copy of the short story written only by the contestant to the Coraopolis NAACP by MARCH 25, 2024
2. The top of each page must include the contestant’s name, page number and unit name and number (Coraopolis NAACP #26AB-B).
3. The Short Story must be typed, double-spaced and between 1000 and 1500 words.
4. The Short Story should have a single-story line without subplots.
No more than three or four characters
A single viewpoint
A short time scale
5. The contestant must be prepared to answer questions by the judges.
6. Contestant may read one excerpt from their work.
Contestants Will Be Judged by the Following Criteria:
• General Merit (25 pts)
Ideas - single storyline, no subplots, 3 - 4 charaters, single viewpoint (2 at the most) short time scale
Organization - consistent writing style, consistent mood/tone and space
Wording - appropriate language, brief descriptions
• Mechanics (25 pts)
• Overall Effect (50 pts)
Minmum background, concise dialogue, no lengthy preamble, no contrived ending
NOTE: For students that qualify for the National Competition
The deadline for submission of national registration documents is the second Saturday of May which will include one notorized copy of your work. No materials or copies will be accepted after that time or at the National Competition.
Contact ACT-SO Chairman Carter Spruill for further information